The goals of this online course are to educate the audience as to the physics & physiology effect of hyperbaric exposure and to explain the mechanism and types of injury associated with hyperbaric and diving operations. A description of the signs & symptoms and treatments of both Type I & II DCS is also included as well as defining the treatment tables for DCS & AGE.
This course consists of two video lectures, each followed by a short quiz.
Video 1: Decompression Sickness, taught by Dr. Helen Gelly
- History of Diving
- Decompression Sickness (DCS)
- Etiology of DCS, physics
- Decompression Illness (DCI), type I, type II, treatment,
- AGE vs. DCS
- Risk factors for DCS, symptoms, management, treatment
Video 2: Latest Research on DCS taught by Dr. Christopher Logue
- Understand and explain the basic physics and physiological concepts relating to decompression sickness.
- Understand the "classical" view of DCS.
- Be aware of the latest research relating to the pathophysiology of DCS.
- Define microparticle.
- Understand and explain how endothelial dysfunction may play a role in DCS.
Watch a Free Clip from this Online Course